Tuesday, May 19, 2026

May 19 - Lagos Portugal to Tarifa Spain

Our Lucy has changed colour... she is now a fun loving, roll in the dirt, rumble tumble brown....

I will miss this part of the morning...the real early morning sounds are just the chirping of the little birds....before you hear the rolling of suitcases along the cobbled pathways... then the seagulls start.... they sound like arguing bickering cats!

I think I woke up with smokers cough...ha ha ha, I think maybe I would need to stay longer...but about 25% of adult Portugese people smoke, you can smoke just about anywhere here.

It's interesting, they drink lots of coffee...like lots... morning, noon and night, you will always see people enjoying their espresso ( 85% of Portugese drink coffee)....and enjoying a smoke and not stressing about a thing...

Our last breakfast...I have been trying as many different things as I can. My last bite was the most delicious apple turnover I have ever eaten.... but nothing like ours at home.... it was so flaky and light and airy....it tasted like heaven....both of them did....I could not stop at one.

Saw a caravan with this on the back..
"On an Adventure before Dementia!" 

And in Spain by noon!  As soon as we crossed into Spain, the median was planted in different colours of oreander. They plant it to absorb the impact of a vehicle veering into the central median, their height and density help block the glare of oncoming headlights during nighttime driving and to obsorb sound and exhaust. 

Coffee and expresso in Portugal is enjoyed in little cups....first stop in Spain...its in a small glass ... like you would have Orange Juice...odd

And when you buy fuel...may as well buy a pocket knife or a hatchet!

Had about a 6 hour drive today so we basically did not stop until we arrived in Cadiz, super busy!
Cádiz is the oldest continuously inhabited city in Western Europe. We essentially had about 2 hours to take a quick break. 

The traffic was a wee bit crazy, lots of multi-laned traffic circles, one after another, many combined, then throw some 2 laned u-turns into the mix together with motorcycles everywhere (40,000 insured in the city) made for a crazy drive.

Cadiz also is a very busy port city, it receives container ships, Roll-on/Roll-off (Ro-Ro) vessels, and bulk carriers. It also serves as a major hub for year-round cruise traffic and scheduled passenger ferries to the Canary Islands.

Wish we had more time to check it out!

We did find parking, which was a real bonus.

A cat colony! We have seen many of these!

And a topless beach right in town!...no closeup pictures here!


This fortress gained modern fame as a filming location for the 2002 James Bond movie Die Another Day.

Into the city centre.

We were walking through some zigzag of alleys when all of a sudden this runner goes flying by....like crazy fast on the uneven stone surface... then a short time later another one... there was some type of relay run through the crazy streets... someone obviously taking pictures for the race asked this police man for a picture...looks like he's posing for the GQ magazine!

This was one of many many bike parking spots, I swear there was more parking for bikes than cars!

Made it to Tarifa, found our apartment for the next 3 nights. It's pretty basic but will work. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment

May 29 - Don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened...

The "flight day" is always the hardest day... Received what I think is our last Lucy update... We are abou...